Friday, July 15, 2011

Studies

Creating detailed studies for final pieces is not typical of my way of doing things; but this project deadline makes me nervous, as there is little space for error or waste. So, here are some gouache prelims.


The one with the dead foxes comes from the story, The Trader's Son, by P'u Sung-Ling. A ghost, in many Asian tales, comes in the form of a fox. The fox often disguises itself as a human. In this tale, foxes terrorize a woman in the night, which also alters her waking life. In the end (story spoiler coming up...) they drink poisoned wine and are found dead behind a bush.


This one is just an experiment. It's sort of a Chinese version of Sir John Everett Millais's Ophelia- an all time favourite of many, including myself. Many people, probably don't know me as a painter of figures, but that was my primary interest for a big chunk of art school. I don't know how I feel about this gouache piece. I will not include this or anything like it in the exhibition, but I thought I'd post it anyway.



This is a taihu rock. I want to make the face of the rock more spooky- in a Scooby-Doo kinda way.

1 comment:

  1. I never saw this post!!! I love the gouaches! The Chinese Ophelia is awesome! Although I'll admit it totally doesn't seem like you painted it. Too much sincerity perhaps. I would expect more of a sarcastic looking Ophelia. :)))) MORE MORE MORE Paintingssss!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete